P.S./I.S. 128 in Middle Village was evacuated this morning.
When students and staff arrived to the school, some smelled something burning. Turns out, there was smoke from a rubbish fire at a neighboring construction site, which seeped into the building. About 30 children and several adults experienced issues from the smoke inhalation. No one at the school required hospitalization.
The school quickly alerted the fire department and firefighters evacuated the school while they investigated.
Firefighters deemed the school safe and everyone was allowed back into the building, a school official said. Normal classes and schedules have resumed.
P.S./I.S. 128 is located at 69-10 65th Drive.